Press Play Button Below, Synchronize Reading & Listening "Habits Podcast" *An Audio Blog*
Getting caught up in lying to yourself is one of the bad habits. Lying to yourself leads to distortion of view of reality and have a severe negative impact on close relationships. Therefore, if you are lying to yourself, you need to be self-aware and get over this bad habit. In this article, we list down some of the ways through which you can stop lying to yourself and become a better person.
- Often you take criticism as a personal attack. This should not be the case and you must always welcome constructive criticism. People close to you like friends or family will always be honest in their criticism and tell you things for your betterment. Therefore, instead of considering such criticism as a personal attack, you should work on your shortcomings.
- To stop lying to yourself you must stop trying to convince people that what you are doing is right. When you make someone believe that you are right, you are trying to hide your shortcoming by getting the approval of others. In any case, if you feel passionate about anything you will end up doing it without anyone’s approval.
- If you want to stop lying to yourself, you must stop putting things off until tomorrow. When you pass on a thing to do for tomorrow then tomorrow will be exactly like today. Therefore, work on improving your bad habits today rather than relying on tomorrow.
- Most of the time you lie to yourself because rectifying your bad habits would require effort. You fear working hard and overcoming that habit. Therefore, you must understand that real fun is in working hard.
- You lie to yourself when you doubt yourself. To overcome this habit, you must quit doubting yourself. You are never too old to try new and better things. Give chance to yourself and you would be able to overcome bad habits by trying new things.
- Most of the self lying comes when you are afraid of any defeat. Giving up is never an option. Sometimes we give up very early before considering the option available to us. There is always another way to overcome any problem.
- You often lie to yourself to ignore your feelings. When you say a particular thing does not affect you emotionally, it does. Therefore, instead of becoming a cold shoulder, admit that you are hurt. There is nothing wrong with showing your emotions honestly. This will surely not change the mind of another person but will make you a stronger person.
The above mentioned are some of the ways through which you can stop lying to yourself. If at any point in life, you feel low or depressed about lying to yourself and not being able to overcome the habit, you may get in touch with Living In Wellbeing’s expert counsellors and involve yourself in motivational and inspirational talk with us.